Summaries of our best blogs: inspiring tips for leaders and managers
Image: Sheryl Sanberg, COO, Facebook, features in our most popular blog
As you read our top blogs, ask yourself "What could I achieve if I had access to leadership advice from the best experts in the world?" Because that's exactly what our 10 top blogs are showcasing. Growth Faculty's unique access to the world's brilliant thinkers gives our Leadership Pass holders the tools and frameworks to improve their leadership skills.
Themes in our best blogs include growth strategies, team culture, soft skills, and some great traits of leaders and managers. Each blog takes just a few minutes to read.
I've summarised each below, but first, here's the quick checklist of our top blogs:
- 10 LESSONS FROM THE BEST SILICON VALLEY BOSSES
- OUR FAVOURITE QUOTES FROM MALALA YOUSAFZAI
- WHAT IF THIS COULD BE EASY? ESSENTIALISM AUTHOR'S NEW BOOK EFFORTLESS
- BRENÉ BROWN TOP TIP: ASSUME OTHERS ARE DOING THE BEST THEY CAN
- 15 MANTRAS FOR WINNING LIKE THE ALL BLACKS AT TEAM CULTURE: JAMES KERR'S LEGACY
- JIM COLLINS EXPLAINS TURNING THE FLYWHEEL
- 7-STEP STRATEGY FRAMEWORK FOR GROWTH IN 2022
- LIZ WISEMAN’S IMPACT PLAYERS: THE EMPLOYEES ADDING 3X TO 10X THE VALUE
- 10 OF THE BEST BUSINESS BOOKS FOR SUMMER TO KICKSTART 2022
- TONY HUGHES: LEARN THE NEW RULES FOR SALES SUCCESS IN 2022
Want to save time and just read a taster of our best blogs?
Here below, I've pulled out some key points from each popular blog article.
Kim Scott, former CEO coach at Dropbox and Twitter shares skills and traits of great leaders in her book Radical Candor. Here's just one: Be a time saver, not a time waster (lesson from Google).
Kim says that in four years of working for Sheryl Sandberg, her former boss at Google (now Chief Operating Officer at Facebook) never once wasted a single moment of her time. In fact, she saved time for everyone.
“She expected us to come to one-on-one meetings with a list of problems she could help us resolve. She’d make sure she understood and then she was like an…explosives expert, dispensing with obstacles,” says Kim.
This blog features the best quotes from Nobel laureate and author of I am Malala, Malala Yousafzai, who spearheads an education movement after being shot by the Taliban as a teenager.
Here are a few:
- “My mother always told me, 'Hide your face people are looking at you.' I would reply, 'It does not matter; I am also looking at them.'”
- “I told myself, Malala, you have already faced death. This is your second life. Don't be afraid — if you are afraid, you can't move forward.”
- “Life isn't just about taking in oxygen and giving out carbon dioxide.”
An inteview with an author who asks '"Are you making things harder than they should be?" Greg McKeown thinks that without a bit of effort, we can all have a calmer, easier, and more productive life! One tip from Greg in this blog:
- Know what “done” looks like. How will you know when the presentation, proposal, project, or task is finished? You need to know. Because once you get to that point, you stop.
Bestselling author and TED sensation Dr Brené Brown assumes the best in others. Her sold-out 2019 event was hosted by The Growth Faculty. In this blog is her lesson on how to look at others' behaviours through a new lens.
For example, have you ever experienced one of these?
- Your friend cancels a bike ride, and you're convinced they take you for granted.
- Your sales manager loses an account, and you view them as hopeless.
- Your colleague asks you to pay the bill, and you assume they’re a tightwad.
Then, it might be time to revisit the value of “assumption of positive intent.”
Read the full blog for Brene's advice on how to do this....and it's HARD!
James Kerr's bestseller Legacy does a deep analysis of the All Blacks' famously consistent team culture. We interview Kerr about his popular business book.
It sets out 15 elegant mantras which turned the All Blacks around from its former, toxic culture.
Here's just one.
Mantra 2: Go for the Gap
“When you’re on top of your game, change your game.”
This is a lesson in always self-improving. Never become complacent.
Listed by Forbes as one of the ‘100 greatest living business minds’, Jim’s most powerful and celebrated concept the Flywheel has been adopted by Amazon, Atlassian and thousands of high growth companies. In his live virtual global headliner event for Growth Faculty, Jim Collins shared the deep principles behind the Flywheel.
- Instead of one key disruptive moment, the flywheel concept describes a gradual process: A series of good decisions supremely well executed that add up one upon another – like turning a giant, heavy flywheel.
A featured speaker in 2022, Indra Nooyi, former CEO of PepsiCo, is globally praised for her work ethic, intellect, and prescient and strategic thinking as some of these quotes show.
Indra Nooyi's key lessons for leaders:
- Thank people - perhaps even the parents of your executive team (as she did!).
- Keep learning throughout your career.
- Develop a set of guiding principles.
- Be authentic.
- Don’t be afraid of change.
- Don’t ignore your moral compass for results.
- Stand firm for what you believe in.
- Communicate your vision simply and often.
- Walk the walk.
- Innovate by learning.
Thinkers50 has named Liz Wiseman one of the world’s top 50 management thinkers. Liz talked to 170 managers to discover what differentiates Impact Players from high-performing but Typical Contributors, and Under Performers. Here are two traits:
1. Do the job that’s needed
Instead of finding messy problems a distraction from their job, they see them as a chance to be useful. They do the job that’s needed, not just their job.
2. Make Work Light.
While Typical Contributors are highly capable, they are like the massive petrol-guzzling Hummer; it will get you there but it consumes a lot of resources in the process. Impact Players are like the ideal car that performs exceptionally, requiring little effort to achieve and maintain that performance.
- I've included just one key tip from each business book, but Growth Faculty Leadership Pass holders can watch or listen to interviews with the authors of our recommended business books summarising their book's key points. As well, Growth Faculty members get an added professional learning boost with real-time virtual masterclasses included in their Leadership Pass.
Only 3% of buyers actively search for new products and services, yet 40% are open to change, global sales expert Tony Hughes told Growth Faculty's masterclass The New Rules of Sales Success. Ranked by Top Sales Magazine as the most influential person in professional selling in Asia-Pacific, Tony explains that buyers expect:
1. You know them.
2. You’ll personalise everything for them.
3. You’ll anticipate their needs.
He explains that modern selling means getting to know the customer and their business intimately. Committing to equip your salespeople with commercial acumen is one of the most important things you can do in 2022.
Our most popular blogs are as much about self-development as professional development.
Lifelong learning, improving relationships, understanding yourself, taking responsibility.
It seems we're all on a journey of discovering what it takes to be not just a successful leader, but a successful human.
Good luck with your journey!
If you'd like to increase your professional and personal development why not consider becoming a Leadership Pass Holder with Growth Faculty? Unlimited access to 40 live virtual masterclasses and Global Headliner virtual events - PLUS year-round leadership content at On Demand with videos, podcasts and book summaries. Join a community of knowledge seekers who are inspired by the best. Access $7500+ value for just $398 AUD. See what's included.
(This blog was originally written in 2021 and updated in February 2022)