The $48 million marketing genius’s 13 key questions
This is Marketing author Seth Godin lists what drives behavior in the modern, privileged world:
- Cognitive load (and the desire for habit and ease)
- Greed (fueled by fear)
"What are they afraid of?"
This is one of the questions marketers should be asking themselves when considering their customers.
This is Marketing has two excellent tools to help you: Marketing in 5 steps, and a simple worksheet comprising 13 questions that all marketers and entrepreneurs should commit to memory.
Marketing in 5 steps
- Invent a thing work making, with a story worth telling, and a contribution worth talking about.
- Design and build it in way that a few people will particularly benefit from and care about.
- Tell a story that matches the built-in narrative and dreams of that tiny group of people, the smallest viable market.
- Spread the word.
- Often overlooked: show up - regularly, consistently, and generously, for years and years - to organise and lead and build confidence in the change you seek to make. To earn permission to follow up and to earn enrolment to teach.
13 Questions Worksheet
The questions help you to do what Seth wants you to do: generous and insightful marketing that finds the people it’s meant to serve.
The book fleshes these concepts out, but in their pure form, here they are:
- Who’s it for?
- What’s it for?
- What is the worldview of the audience you’re seeking to reach?
- What are they afraid of?
- What story will you tell? Is it true?
- What change are you seeking to make?
- How will it change their status?
- How will you reach the early adopters and neophiliacs (strong affinity for novelty)?
- Why will they tell their friends?
- What will they tell their friends?
- Where’s the network effect that will propel this forward?
- What asset are you building?
- Are you proud of it?
Seth says that marketing has changed, but our understanding of what we’re supposed to do next hasn’t kept up. He says we selfishly shout when we are in doubt.
“Marketing involves very little in the way of shouting, hustling, or coercion. It’s a chance to serve, instead,” he writes.
Who is Seth Godin?
Marketing expert, entrepreneur and author Seth Godin got the world’s attention in 2001 by the unusual way he marketed his e-book ‘Unleashing the Ideavirus.’
He gave it away for free at a time when nobody did such a thing, and it’s claimed to be the most downloaded book of all time.
Seth is a marketer with revolutionary ideas, and according to Networth.com, he’s amassed in 2018 a $US34 million ($A48 million) fortune in doing so.
More impressive, he’s respected by his peers. In 2018 he was inducted into the AMA Marketing Hall of Fame.
The author of 19 books, Seth Godin’s latest book is This is Marketing.
Members of The Growth Faculty can watch a replay of our 2019 livestream interview with This is Marketing author Seth Godin here.
If you are not currently a member of The Growth Faculty, click here to become a member to access our interviews with international business authors and Australian CEOs, plus event highlights from speakers including Simon Sinek, Whitney Johnson, Hillary Clinton, Marshall Goldsmith. As well, members receive the greatest discounts on LIVE events, and other benefits.